Thursday, November 29, 2007
Previously on Project Runway: Heidi made the designers run. Simone was unfinished. Elisa was weird. Rami won. Simone got the boot.
Rami regrets the departue of Simone; he thinks she had more of a clue than Elisa. Who has decided to use the clues the judges gave her in their feedback, so good for her. And off to Parsons, where it's the first model auction of the season. Results:
- Rami stays with Ashley. I'm not sure why; there are better choices.
- Chris keeps Marcia. She was one of the stronger entries, so good choice.
- Kit stays with Marie. They have a sorta-pixie vibe in common.
- Carmen keeps Anna. The ex-model knows a good walker when she sees one.
- Christian decides to "stay with the fabulous Lisa." Perhaps because she looks like him? She's okay, but not fabulous.
- Marion keeps Cheron, who does not look so mannish with her hair parted on the side.
- Victorya continues with Jacqueline.
- Ricky switches to Lea, who managed not to fall over in Elisa's dress. Good choice.
- Elisa is next, so she takes Aviva from Jack. Not a bad choice.
- Steven stays with Sam. I love her red hair.
- Kevin takes Amanda from Jillian.
- Jack snaps up Christina from Sweet P.
- Jillian picks up Lauren from the departed Simone.
- Sweet P is left to choose between Katie (formerly with Kevin) and Wendi (formerly with Ricky), the two clompiest walkers. She goes with the brunette, so Wendi is out. The designers kindly clap for her as she departs.
The challenge: create an outfit for a "pop culture and fashion icon." Much guessing ensues. Tim gathers the designers around and introduces: Sarah Jessica Parker. And the crowd goes wild. Chris starts crying, because Sex and the City inspired him to move to New York. The designers will create a two-piece outfit for the fall/winter collection of her Bitten line. Since it's all about affordability, the retail cost is $40. Which means they get $15 for materials. They'll all pitch, and SJP will pick seven team leaders. So it's a team challenge, just in case the "two-piece outfit" clue didn't tip you off.
Sketching. Pitching. Chris is terribly nervous. Elisa talks about polymorphism. Kevin runs away without shaking SJP's hand. Carmen makes sure SJP gets her name. Time to choose. SJP praises everyone but chooses: Elisa, Kit, Victorya, Marion, Ricky, Christian and Rami. SJP might sell the winning design as part of her selection, if it doesn't suck. She leaves. Now it's back to the schoolyard to pick teams.
- Marion: Steven, to avoid the drama
- Ricky: Jack
- Victorya: Kevin
- Kit: Chris
- Rami: Jillian
- Christian: Carmen, who is relieved not to be the last chosen
- Elisa: kindly says she always wanted Sweet P, who is worried about working with the Queen of Hand-Sewing
Shopping at Mood. Going for the cheap. Elisa lets Sweet P choose colors. Sweet P warns her to finish her edges, or the judges will put her in the "unfinished" box. They have until midnight to finish. Workety work. Elisa uses spit to mark her fabric as she holds it up to Sweet P, who is just flummoxed by this unsanitary habit. Although she doesn't protest unfolding the fabric on the floor, so I guess it's only bodily fluids that she's worried about.
Tim wanders through. He's worried about the complexity of Marion's skirt. Christian shrugs off Tim's concerns that it's too retro. Victorya and Kevin are in good shape. Elisa wants to do a hand-rolled finish, but Tim thinks she's nuts, given the time constraints. Elisa decides to listen to Tim and Sweet P. Tim leaves. Frantic sewing ensues.
Morning. Back to work. Sweet P fusses some more, but turns a corner and gets optimistic. Marion and Steven are still having skirt issues. Victorya requests a "stomp walk" from Jacqueline. Steven is still working on the skirt as Tim summons them to the runway. Show time!
- Kit/Chris/Marie: Black scoop-neck short-sleeved hip-length sweater with curved pockets at the waist, over brown cropped leggings. Marie gives it some gamine charm.
- Elisa/Sweet P/Katie: Heathery blue half cape over a teal long-sleeved dress with long ties at the neck. The skirt of the dress flares a bit for a flirty attitude. Katie is still a little clompy on the runway, but she handles the cape well.
- Rami/Jillian/Lauren: Brown belted big shirt/tunic over bland leggings. Lauren is pretty bland. I think the tunic is too stiff; it would be more interesting in a fabric that moved.
- Marion/Steven/Cheron: Olive knit belted cape/tunic with long fringing over a grey flannel skirt. Cheron works the fringe, but it looks awfully hippie-ish and you can't see the purported intricacy of the skirt.
- Victorya/Kevin/Jacqueline: Full black dress with elbow-length sleeves and long ties at the neck, topped with a teensy plaid half-vest. Jacqueline does the requested stomp walk and sells it hard.
- Christian/Carmen/Lisa: Teal turtleneck knit dress, grey and black pieced jacket with poofy shoulders and tight sleeves. The heavy bangs and the nude lip aren't doing Lisa any favors. She looks really severe again. I'm starting to think Christian likes to be spanked.
- Ricky/Jack/Lea: Scoop-necked cap-sleeved dress in red with a heavy braided leather belt. The skirt moves beautifully and Lea works it.
Elisa/Sweet P, Victorya/Kevin, Marion/Steven and Christian/Carmen have to face the judges. The remaining teams are safe. Heidi threatens to boot "one or more" designers. SJP is happy that Victorya turned a simple sketch into something interesting and it fits well with the collection. Marion's cape stretched out too much and it lost the right proportions. Heidi thinks it looks dirty. SJP likes the movement of Elisa's dress and asks about the partnership. Sweet P brings up the mismatch of styles. Elisa uses spitmarking as an example, which freaks out the judges. Elisa takes the teasing well. Christian is sure his fitted jacket would suit all figure types, despite the judges' doubts. SJP thinks it's more severe than the sketch; it's too short and tight. Heidi wants to know who would go if they lost. Carmen gets all dramatic about having to give up Christian -- when did they become BFFs? -- but he totally steps up. Marion is also willing to take the hit. Steven doesn't want to leave it all hanging on Marion, but isn't volunteering to go himself.
The judges deliberate. The designers return. SJP announces the winner: Victorya. And the outfit will be sold with the line. Elisa and Sweet P are safe. Steven is safe. Carmen is safe. And -- Christian is safe, so Marion gets the boot. I can't say I'm surprised -- I haven't been wowed by him yet, while Christian knows how to put an outfit together. Still, it was nice to see Christian get a spanking. Not that it will make an impression. No doubt we'll start the next episode with him whining about how the judges just don't get his vision.
I was kind of hoping Elisa would get the underdog win -- this has to be a difficult situation for her -- but I suspect this really wound up being a team effort, while Victorya's design was much more the work of a single person. Not that Kevin is chopped liver, but he was really a hired hand for this one. Ricky managed to redeem himself and Kit's outfit was cute. Rami's was kind of disappointing, but I'll chalk that up to stiff fabric and a stiff model. Overall, another good showing by almost everyone.
Labels: Project Runway